Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine’s unpaid results—often referred to as “organic” or “earned” results. In general, the higher ranked and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users. Search engine optimization may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
As an Internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience.
Doing SEO well is a time-consuming task, because it is not separate from all your other online marketing efforts. SEO is an important part of every other digital marketing method. When you create content, you need to include SEO. When you distribute content, you need to include SEO. When you design a website, you need to include SEO. That’s what the cake reference above means. SEO is baked into all your other methods, not slapped on at the end.
Some basic search engine optimization techniques include:
- Analyse your audience and pick keywords you know they search for
- Ensure your headlines fit within 60 characters and that they are compelling
- Tag all your images with keywords
- Create content that provides value
- Make sure you link your content to sites with authority
- Include video in your content strategy
- Make sure your written content is well-researched, well-written and thorough. It should be longer than 700 words.
- Distribute your content through social media
- Remember to share other people’s content, not just your own
- Make sure your content is optimized for mobile devices
- Ensure your branding is strong and consistent
- Analyse your performance with Google Analytics
As you can see, search engine optimization is not an easy or straight-forward job. Write My Website has the expertise in all areas of SEO, from the moment your website is designed to the creation and distribution of content.
Want to know more about Search Engine Optimization? Read our blogs on this subject here.